The purpose of this twinnning project EE02-IB-EN-02 was defined according to the requirements of the Drinking Water Directive (80/778/EEC), Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (91/271/EEC), Directive on discharge of Dangerous Substances into the Aquatic Environment, (76/464/EEC) and relevant Daughter Directives (82/176 ; 83/513, 86/280, 88/347 and 90/415).
The overall objective of activities was to address the informational, administrative and institutional problems with the following expected results :
- Formulation of effective institutional Water Management instruments,
- Training of public officials and relevant experts,
- Proposal and development of Water Management instruments, tasks and actions,
- Drafting of guidelines for the terms of references for priority investment projects,
- Formulation of feasibility study guidelines for investment projects,
- Formulation of special implementation measures (including institutional strengthening and possible reform) for speeding up the implementation of the Drinking Water and Urban Waste Water Treatment Directives and of Implementation Programmes for 2003-2013,
- Formulation of special implementation measures for the Directive on Discharge of Dangerous Substances into the Aquatic Environment and relevant Daughter Directives.
* an analysis on the existing status of legislative and regulatory transposition, a plan and proposals for amendments according to the project purposes.
* updating of the existing investment plans and programmes for the implementation of the drinking water and urban waste water directives,
* formulating a dangerous substances minimisation programme by types of industry.
* the assessment of the existing monitoring and information systems for the implementation of the relevant directives.
* the identification of the exact training needs of staff in competent authorities and the planning of seminars and study tours for the project period.
* organising six 2-day seminars based on the project needs in Estonia.
* organising study tours in France to provide officers from the Estonian relevant authorities the possibility of investigating the procedures and practices used when implementing the directives.