The Twinning HU2002/IB-EN-01 which was led by Germany in partnership with France, aimed to assist Hungarian water authorities with revising the national law, regulation procedures in order to implement some aspects of the Water Framework Directive as well as to ensure full institutional capacity building in fulfilling the planning, regulation, reporting and information requirements.
The main outputs of the project were :
1- Introduction to the ‘safety installation’ principle regarding the discharges of dangerous substances,
2- Data structuring in order to meet WFD requirements,
3- Support for better international cooperation to meet WFD requirements,
4- Presentation of the French experience for the formulation of management plans,
5- Transfer of knowledge and operational experience through professional training for fast and efficient responses in case of accidental water pollution.
IOWater provided the following services :
- French specialists’ assignments in Hungary,
- Organization of a colloquium in Budapest for 80 participants,
- Organization of various workshops,
- Finalization of a pilot project on data management,
- Field trips of Hungarian specialists to France,
- 2 one-week training courses in France and Hungary.